Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Family

Image Source

Today I talked to my Mum, being mothers day and all she opened up to me about a lot of things that I hadn't heard before...and I loved this.

It was wonderful, even though I heard some things that were not so wonderful, the stories are true and are about my family history. Have you ever really sat down with your mother or father and quizzed them about their past and got them to open up about their lives?

I have on a number of occasions and although it must be at the right time and they must be in the right mood, when the time is right, the fortunes they can reveal are wonderful (well I think so anyway even if they are not so glamorous).

These stories have helped me connect better with reality and what life is really all about, both my mother and fathers families have had their fare share of challenges and lived much harder lives in comparison to mine. Split families back in a times when this was not looked upon favourably, scandals, harsh punishments, low incomes and living/working hard on farms or in single family units with a large amount of siblings...

I found out something really emotional this evening talking with my mother and it made me wonder just how many secrets may lay hidden without families knowing of them? I challenge you like I challenged my mother, to find out more.. this is our family history and we should know more about what has happened even if it is not so pretty.

I am blessed to still have both my Nana's alive and I called them both today for a Mother's Day chat and to have a wonderful catch up. I love talking with them regularly to see how things are and find out the friendly gossip of how all the family is going and connect with them again. I try to do this regularly but I need to do it more often as making an effort to connect is so important.. you don't know how much longer you will have the opportunity to do so.

Connect with your love ones. :)

Brenda :)


No comments:

Post a Comment